COVID-19 help, support and FAQs
Opening Times : Monday - Friday 09:00 - 20:00 and Saturday - Sunday 09:00 - 16:00

Caravan Insurance

We all want cheap caravan insurance, so why not see how much money you could save on your caravan insurance?

Benefits of Caravan insurance policies

  •  Insurance for all caravan types
  •  Contents insurance options
  •  Huge range of possible discounts
  •  No caravan or policy holder age limits
  •  New for old cover options
  •  Up to 240 days free continental cover

Getting you cheap caravan insurance quotes

If you own a caravan, you'll not only know how much fun they are, but also how much of an investment they can be in monetary terms. With this in mind and regardless of whether you have a touring caravan, a static caravan, a folding camper or even a motor home, it's important to protect it with a caravan insurance policy.

Unlike car insurance, and with the exception of motor homes, it isn't a legal requirement, but will offer you peace of mind, knowing that if your caravan is damaged, stolen or destroyed by fire, you won't be left with a hefty bill for repairs or a replacement.

This is why we have teamed up with Cover4Caravans! Offering a quick, simple and easy way to do get a competitive caravan insurance quote. Their quotes are straightforward and easy to understand, and offer you the flexibility of selecting the right policy to suit you.

One Call Insurance introduces business to Cover4Caravans. When you take out a policy with Cover4Caravans we will receive a commission for the introduction to them. This could be a percentage of the premium or a fixed fee depending on the cover taken. If you have any issues with the cover you have purchased via Cover4Caravans please contact them directly.

Caravan insurance policy features

You get access to a whole host of features and benefits when you compare and buy caravan insurance through Cover4Caravans in association with One Call Insurance, these include:

Up to 240 days Free continental cover

With the exception of static caravans, all Cover4Caravans policies come with up to 240 days of free continental cover. This gives you the freedom to embark upon a family holiday to the south of France or even a multi-stop European road trip with your tourer in tow.

New for old replacement

Depending on your caravan type and age, many of the providers will offer cover on a new for old basis. This means that if your caravan is stolen or destroyed, you could receive a brand new replacement or an equivalent pay-out. The exact terms vary by insurer.

No age limits

Cover4Carvans panel of insurers can provide cover for your caravan regardless of its age. Equally, there are no restrictions on the age of a policy holder. For example, you can insure a 78 year old retiree with a brand new tourer or a 21 year old with a 15 year old folding camper.

Huge range of discounts

Depending on the type of caravan you have and the insurer you choose, Cover4Caravans can offer huge discounts for things like caravan club membership, added security precautions and No Claims Discount (NCD).

Further information...

Typically, Caravan Insurance is split into four different categories based on caravan type; touring caravan, static caravan, trailer tent/folding caravan and motor homes:

  • Touring caravan insurance – A touring caravan is towed behind another vehicle i.e. a car or a van. They’re great for family holidays to coastal caravan parks and European adventures alike. Touring Caravan Insurance often includes cover for accidental damage (while being towed or static), fire and theft.
  • Static caravan insurance – Static caravans are kept in a fixed location, such as a caravan site, Holiday Park or a garden. If you have one, Static Caravan Insurance is the most appropriate option. It often includes cover for accidental damage, fire and theft.
  • Trailer tent and folding camper insurance – Trailer tents or folding campers are a middle ground between a caravan and a tent. They are ideal for camping on a budget, as they are cost effective yet still offer stable shelter. However, insuring them can be a little trickier given the fact that they are less secure than traditional caravans. Also, the type of cover provided can vary greatly, but can include accidental damage, fire and theft.
  • Motorhome insurance - A motorhome is a type of vehicle that has a drivers cab at the front with living accommodation to the rear, it’s like a ‘home away from home’. As motor homes are driven on the road, motorhome insurance is a legal requirement. As with car insurance, there are three levels of motorhome insurance cover to choose from: Third party only, third party, fire and theft and fully comprehensive. The cover provided under each will vary from the minimum legal requirement of third-party liability (injury and damage caused by you to a third-party or third-party owned property) right up to cover for injury and damage sustained by you, your passengers and your caravan.

The level of cover provided under a caravan policy will vary by insurer. Depending on how often you use your caravan and for what purpose, you may need to consider a policy that either includes, or allows you to add, cover for things like:

  • Family and friends – If you plan to lend your caravan out to a family member or a friend; you should make sure it won’t invalidate your insurance policy. Lots of insurers include this type of cover as standard, but it isn’t guaranteed. It’s also worth checking what your insurer defines as family and friends, as it can vary by insurer.
  • Contents – Caravan contents insurance is similar in nature to a home insurance contents policy; it often provides cover for things like furniture, appliances, electrical items, clothes, kitchen utensils, pots and pans, and personal items. A small number of insurers include this as standard, while others offer it as an add-on for an additional cost.
  • International – Your caravan insurance policy might already provide cover for European travel, most do. However, you should check before hand and if you plan on travelling further afield, you may need to take out additional cover or even a specialist policy.

As is the case with most types of insurance, Caravan insurance policies typically come with a list of exclusions. Although they will vary by insurer, the most common exclusions are:

  • Business use – If you start running any form of business from your caravan, you will need completely different cover (such as Business Insurance). If you fail to declare a business interest when obtaining a quote or engage in one mid-term, your policy will likely be invalidated. Activities such as renting your caravan out in the summer months are classed as business use.
  • Insects and vermin – Insurers almost always exclude any damage caused by rodents, insects and any other pests.
  • Wear and tear – Like anything, caravans degrade over time. If not maintained properly, this process can speed up. Insurers often don’t cover damage from wear and tear, meaning you won’t be able to claim.
  • Damp and mildew – Unless properly stored, caravans can be left empty and exposed to the elements for long periods of time. However, it’s important to note that Insurers rarely cover the resulting damp and mildew damage.

Some caravan insurers include contents insurance as standard, while others give you the option to add it on for a small additional cost. There are no laws that state you must have it, however, if you don’t and your caravan is stolen or destroyed by fire, for example, you could lose everything that is inside at the time.

The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.

You can check your licence details on the DVLA website to see if you’re allowed to tow.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

  • drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM*
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

To take part on one of these courses, you will need a vehicle fitted with a tow bar, electrics and towing mirrors. All drivers can book on to the course, whether they are members or not; but don’t worry, you will not be required to take a test.

You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.

*MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.

Licences issued before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Towing heavier combinations

Follow these steps if you want to tow heavier combinations.

  1. Apply for provisional licence for a medium-sized lorry and trailer (category C1+E).
  2. Pass the lorry theory test.
  3. Pass the C1+E driving test.

Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12,000kg MAM.

You need to take extra Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) tests if driving the medium-sized lorry is the main part of your job.

Information sourced from and is correct as of 14.08.2020

Unlike Car Insurance and with the exception of motor homes, for which a valid insurance policy is required, caravan insurance isn’t a legal requirement. However, with the average caravan costing £9,000, it makes sense to protect it against common risks such as theft, fire and damage. After all, without it you could be left with a huge repair bill or even without a caravan at all if it were to be damaged or stolen.

On most caravan policies, you will have the ability to build up a No Claims Discount (NCD), just as you would on a Car Insurance policy. This involves a percentage based discount that increases for every year you don’t make a claim and subsequently contributes to a reduction in your caravan insurance premium over time. However, there will be a limit to the amount of discount you can receive in total and this is something that will vary from insurer to insurer.

With this mind it’s wise to think carefully before making a claim on your Caravan Insurance, especially if you’re already worried about the cost of cover; making a claim can not only result in you not receiving additional NCD at renewal, but also often increase the cost of cover.

Some insurers provide cover on a ‘new for old’ basis. This means that if your caravan is stolen and not recovered or it is written off, you will either be given a new caravan or a pay-out in line with the cost of buying a new one.

Without this cover, most insurers will either source a second-hand replacement or make a pay-out based on the current market value at the time of the incident.

The excess on your Caravan Insurance depends on your insurer and policy; it is a contribution you agree to pay in the event of a claim. There are two different types of excess:

  • Compulsory – The compulsory excess is set by the insurer, it cannot be changed and is essentially the amount you have to pay if you make a claim. It’s usually deducted from your settlement. However, if the claim is decided as non-fault and the costs are recovered from a third-party, the compulsory excess will be refunded.
  • Voluntary – This is an additional amount you agree to pay, in addition to the compulsory excess, towards a claim. The voluntary excess is always decided by you at the start of the caravan insurance policy and can be £0, but a higher excess often results in a lower premium. When deciding the amount of your excess, always remember to keep it affordable so as not to create any financial burden in the event you do need to make a claim.

Some Car Insurance policies provide basic cover for towing a caravan, either as standard or an add-on. However, it will most likely be on a third-party basis and therefore won’t cover you for the cost of repair or replacement if your caravan is damaged, destroyed or stolen. You’re also likely to have to abide by strict size and weight restrictions.

A caravan insurance policy, however, not only offers more substantial cover with tons of options like family and friends cover, contents cover and European cover, but also has much more flexibility in terms of caravan size and weight.

Some caravan insurance policies come with a basic level of European cover. At One Call Insurance, we refer to it as continental cover and depending on the insurer and the type of caravan you have, we’ll include free cover for up to 240 days.

Tip: Not all types of caravan are eligible for free continental cover. Additional terms and conditions may also apply and you should therefore check directly with your insurer as to ensure the cover is sufficient before you embark on an overseas trip.

You can drastically speed up the time it takes to get a caravan insurance quote by having the following information to hand:

  • Caravan Make – The manufacturer of your caravan i.e. Elddis, Lunar, Swift.
  • Caravan Model – The model of your caravan i.e. Explore 554, Venus 590/6, Basecamp.
  • Caravan Type – The type of caravan you own. This could be a twin axle caravan, pop top caravan, folding caravan, for example. If you haven’t got a clue, check your owner’s manual or any other manufacturer documentation that came with your caravan.
  • Serial/CRIS number (tourers only) – All touring caravans have a unique 17 digit CRIS (Caravan Registration & Identification Scheme) number. It should have been stamped into your caravan’s chassis using dye, etched onto windows and embedded into the bodywork on an electric tag.
  • Number of berths – This refers to how many beds you have in your caravan.
  • Number of axles – The number of wheel axles the caravan has. An axle is a security device that attaches to the caravan’s chassis and locks the wheel in place.
  • Year of manufacture – The year that your caravan was manufactured. This can be obtained from your owner’s manual, if you don’t have one check any additional manufacturer documentation that you have.
  • Date of purchase –Whether or not the caravan was bought brand new from the manufacturer or one of its approved retailers, or second-hand via a classified site, retailer or its previous owner.
  • Is the caravan fitted with a Phantom tracking device – Whether or not you have a Phantom tracking device fitted.
  • Storage details – Details relating to how and where your caravan is stored when not in use.
  • Caravan value – The current value of your caravan. If you’re unsure, you could have an independent valuation carried out or look at online classified ads and the sale prices of similar caravans.
  • Awning value –The value of your caravan awning.
  • Contents value – The collective value of any belongings that you keep inside your caravan. For example, furniture, kitchen appliances, pots and pans, gadgets and clothes.

Do you want more insurance?

Did you know we also insure homes, motorcycles and vans? Instead of searching online, just take a look at how we could help:
Home insurance
Home Insurance

Do you own or rent a house? We have a range of insurers on out panel to give you the best possible cover.

See Home Insurance
bike insurance
Bike Insurance

Do you ride a motorbike, scooter or moped? We have a wide range of insurers on our panel to give you the best possible cover.

See Bike Insurance
van insurance
Van Insurance

If you drive a van and not a car but want personal van insurance for social use only we can give you the cover you need.

See Van Insurance